Thursday, January 6, 2011

Three out of four ain't bad

A while back, I wrote about my four must-have power tools. Santa Claus must have been reading because he came through on three of the four this year.

OK, so it was actually my parents (my dad) and in-laws who came through. And so what if I specifically asked for a circular saw and a Dremel? The cordless drill was a surprise, though. A pleasant one at that.

My dad must have been psychic when he picked the compact 12-volt Ryobi off the shelf. See, between the time I answered "A Dremel" to my mom's annual what-do-you-want-for-Christmas question, the battery on my 18-volt Craftsman all but went kaput. Lately, I've been able to get about 10 minutes out of it (including non-drilling time) before running out of juice. I've had it for 10-plus years, so I have no complaints. Well, one complaint: the exorbitant cost of a replacement battery. The Ryobi comes with TWO batteries, so I'm hoping to get 20 years out of it. Incidentally, it's the only one of my new "friends" I've had occasion to use - so far.

I can't wait to use the Ryobi circular saw and the Dremel, and I'm very happy to have them in my tool arsenal. To be honest, though, now that I have the Dremel, I'm a little intimidated by it. So many attachments, so many possibilities. I'll have to play around with it on some scrap lumber (of which I have LOADS) a bit before I use it. As for the palm sander (the fourth item on my list), I can easily make due with my Corner Cat for a while longer.

How did Santa do on your wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment