Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Three-plus years later ...

Our long drywall repair nightmare is over.

As you may remember, I started fixing my very rough (i.e. "good enough") drywall job on my daughter's bedroom doorway a couple Fridays back (read the back story here). After that, time and my daughter's illness forced me to take a step back. I was able to get my final coat sanded, but painting ... that was a different story. Imagine my shame every time I walked past that joint compound-decorated doorway.

Finally, last Friday, I finished - paint and all.

Using a drywall sander that attaches to the vacuum cleaner, I was able to contain most of the dust from that project, but I wasn't naive enough to think I was able to completely eliminate it. Those tiny, pesky bits of drywall dust are still in the air, looking for somewhere to settle down and make themselves at home. After lots of cleaning and vacuuming, I'm confident that 95 percent of it is gone now.

Unfortunately, the paint we had stored in the basement was mixed in a different batch than the paint that was already on the wall, meaning there was an ever-so-slightly difference in the tint. Fortunately, I only had to paint the wall in question. Unfortunately, that's one of the longest uninterrupted walls in our home.

Two coats later, I'm very happy with the results. If you compare the above photo with this one, I'm sure you'll agree that my pride in a job well done is justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment